Musei di Villa Torlonia

facilitated menu

skip to:
content. search, section. languages, menu. utility, menu. main, menu. path, menu. footer, menu.

Home > Route through the rooms > The Lunch Hall
Share |

The Lunch Hall

The Lunch Hall

This room is characterized by the fine wood panelling that covers all the walls and frames the four doors. The panels are carved into laurel branches and berries, with inserts made from light wood creating a ribbon pattern, which is outlined by squares of bronze. Ears of corn, arranged in groups of three and also made from bronze, demarcate the panels. Along the high cornice of the panelling hang a series of ‘plates’ of light wood, substituting for the original ceramic plates decorated with scenes of the countryside which used to hang here, but have unfortunately been lost.
Small brackets are fixed to the panels at head height. These used to support miniature lead soldiers. These too have been lost.
The windows and the door which opens into the Room of the Clover contain stained glass decorated with vine-shoots and leaves, in warm tones of yellow and green, works of the Picchiarini Workshop.
Along the upper face of the wall runs a stucco frieze in deep relief. This takes up the laurel leaf motif and, like the panelling, has a series of circular fittings, which once used to display ceramic plates, outlined by the small lamps that lit the room.
In the room are displayed various sketches for stained glass by Umberto Bottazzi.

Drawing
Umberto Bottazzi, c. 1920
M CC 28
Drawing
Umberto Bottazzi, c. 1913-1914
M CC 23
Stained window
Laboratorio Picchiarini, c. 1914
M CC 137 a b
Drawing
Umberto Bottazzi, c. 1916
M CC 27
Drawing
Umberto Bottazzi, 1913-1914
M CC 24
Drawing
Umberto Bottazzi, About 1914
M CC 25

back to facilitated menu.


Read reviews about: Musei di Villa Torlonia

back to facilitated menu.