Musei di Villa Torlonia

facilitated menu

skip to:
content. search, section. languages, menu. utility, menu. main, menu. path, menu. footer, menu.

Share |
Bartolomeo Cavaceppi (Rome 1717 - 1799)
Satyr
Sculpture
Plaster

The plaster satyr comes from the Cavaceppi workshop.
The statue is missing the head, left forearm, calf, and much of the left foot. It shows a satyr advancing with dignity, carrying a goatskin on his left shoulder and a thyrsus in his right hand. His right leg rests on a richly decorated plaster projection.
This was a cast taken from a marble statuette in Villa Albani. Stylistically it is linked to the dancing satyrs of the Hellenistic world, a typology that came into existence in the second half of the second century BC, and associated by its refined smoothness to the Neo-Attic creations of the first century BC.

Provenance: unknown

back to facilitated menu.


Read reviews about: Musei di Villa Torlonia

back to facilitated menu.