Musei di Villa Torlonia

facilitated menu

skip to:
content. search, section. languages, menu. utility, menu. main, menu. path, menu. footer, menu.

Home > Museo della Villa > Portico > Athena Parthènos
Share |
Athena Parthènos
Sculpture
Trajan era, Restauration of Cavaceppi (end of 18th century AD)
"Pentelico" marble with marble of Luni

The statue comes from the Cavaceppi workshop. It was bought by Giovanni Torlonia senior in 1800 but we do not know when it became a feature of the Villa’s decorations. One hypothesis is that it was placed in the Diruto Temple dedicated to Minerva, which was demolished in the early twentieth century.
This is a replica of the statue of Athena Parthènos and was probably made between the late Trajan era and the mid-second century AD. The original model was the famous chrysoelephantine colossal statue made by Phidias (438 BC), a cult statue in the Parthenon and a symbol of the greatness of Athens during the time of Pericles.
Bartolomeo Cavaceppi added a head (removed in 1983), the left hand with the spear, and the left foot to the original body.
The goddess wears a peplum tied at the waist by a belt. The ends of the belt are formed by symmetrical volutes that terminate in snakes’ heads.
The chest and shoulders of the figure are covered by the shield decorated with gorgoneion and edged with eight rolled snakes’ tails.

Provenance: From Parco of Villa Torlonia

back to facilitated menu.


Read reviews about: Musei di Villa Torlonia

back to facilitated menu.