Musei di Villa Torlonia

facilitated menu

skip to:
content. search, section. languages, menu. utility, menu. main, menu. path, menu. footer, menu.

Home > Museo della Villa > Portico > Statue of Ceres or of the type known as “Grande Ercolanense”
Share |
Statue of Ceres or of the type known as “Grande Ercolanense”
Sculpture
Antonin era (2nd century AD). Restoration of Cavaceppi (end of 18th century)
Marble

Made from island marble with elements added during its restoration in Carrara marble in the Cavaceppi workshop, this statue, in two fragments, was placed in Palazzo Torlonia until (presumably) 1882, the year that it was transferred close to the New Stables and placed on an ancient base.
The figure of Ceres is composed of four fragments that have been reassembled. The statue is headless and badly damaged.
It has been identified as Ceres as she holds two poppy capsules in her left hand, which are traditional attributes of the goddess.
It is a replica of the type called “Grande Ercolanense” (the prototype was found in the Theatre in Herculaneum), which remained popular for a long time and of which many copies were made.
This example, which dates from the Antonine period, reached the Torlonia family from the Cavaceppi workshop, where it had probably undergone restoration.

Provenance: From Palazzo Torlonia of Piazza Venezia, after in the Parco of Villa Torlonia

back to facilitated menu.


Read reviews about: Musei di Villa Torlonia

back to facilitated menu.