Musei di Villa Torlonia

facilitated menu

skip to:
content. search, section. languages, menu. utility, menu. main, menu. path, menu. footer, menu.

Share |
Bartolomeo Cavaceppi (Rome 1717-1799)
Faun
Sculpture
Marble of Carrara

The second-century faun, reproduced in the marble Torlonia copy, belonged to the core of the Capitoline Collection purchased by Pope Clement XII in 1754.
That, in turn, was a copy of a late-Hellenistic bronze from Micro-Asia.
Restoration of the Capitoline Collection was the responsibility of the Cavaceppi master, Carlo Antonio Napollioni, and it may have been Cavaceppi himself who made the moulds of the faun and the Torlonia copy.

Provenance: From Palazzo Torlonia in Piazza Venezia, after at the entrance of Villa Torlonia

back to facilitated menu.


Read reviews about: Musei di Villa Torlonia

back to facilitated menu.